Saturday, September 20, 2014

The first few weeks of the new school year have passed and it's always a freeing feeling when things finally fall into a routine.  I'm even able to steal a few minutes to read again, something I haven't been able to do since summer vacation.


Two books I'd like to share are: 

A Crooked Kind of Perfect by Linda Urban



It is WONDERFUL.  Zoe is an 11 year old with a dream of performing classical music on a grand piano, wearing a sparkling gown and diamond tiara. When her dad finally takes her shopping for a piano, he instead ends up buying her an organ. Disappointed, she takes lessons anyway.  Her life is far from perfect as we learn about her issues with friends, her father's disability with anxiety, and her mother's work driven attitude.  Does Zoe's dream ever come true? You'll close this book with a smile and full heart!



   Reading in the Wild by Donalyn Miller


I finished The Book Whisperer in July and immediately ordered Donalyn Miller's new book, Reading in the Wild.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book just as much as I love The Book Whisperer.  This book gives strategies and advice about how to turn kids into wild readers- wild readers who have lifelong reading habits.  
I appreciate how Donalynn uses her personal experiences to demonstrate what lifelong reading habits are.  My favorite take away was the status of the class.  As I implement this into my reading block, I am amazed at the power it brings.  It holds the kids accountable to read, really read, during their independent reading time.  It introduces new books to students who frantically add them to their books to read list.  It gives me a glimpse into what genres are being read and when.  I'm anxious to get their blogs going.  I know they'll have a lot ot say!



No comments:

Post a Comment